Categories of hosting solutions
A hosting service refers to stockpiling and/or sharing certain content on a server hosted by a web hosting provider. There are various forms of hosting services utilized for different ends, so let's have a look at these. In this way, you can decide what you need, depending on whether you desire to create a website, mail accounts, or to share files with pals and associates.
- File hosting: a solution delivered by given firms, which lets you share large files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived documents, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single objective is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to open .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free file storage services frequently include advertisements next to the download links, while a timer makes you await a particular period of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you get a paid file storage plan, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limitation as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
These days, with the help of the cPanel hosting vendors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is an entirely mistaken explanation of the literal meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would apportion the workload between individual packs of web servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending various website hosting services (mail, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, webspace hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a brand of a disk space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; some providers provide a hosting solution for images only. This hosting type is suitable if you desire to share an enormous number of pictures with pals or associates since the solution is generally free of charge. You will receive a random link for each and every pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to handling your e-mail aliases. Some distributors provide webspace hosting services for web sites, but do not provide an e-mail hosting service. If you want to get a mail address with your domain name but do not wish to keep a website, then the email hosting solution is what you require. You can create email box accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video file, or you can embed the video clip in your site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of using this method in lieu of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video file brings about a specific amount of central processing unit load, so with several video files and a few hundred web page visitors, you may have trouble with your site hosting resources. Embedding the video will allow you to keep as many video clips as you want to without bothering about system quotas.
- Web hosting: this is the solution that you need if you desire to have a site. To some extent, it includes all of the aforementioned hosting forms since, along with your web pages, you can also host pictures and files, you can keep databases and e-mail accounts, upload video clips, etc. At LiquidNet Ltd Hosting, for instance, you can have a glance at web hosting and dedicated hosting services that enable you to have all of the abovementioned solutions in a single place. There may be limitations depending on the kind of hosting service that you've picked - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web page hosting account may be better or worse in comparison with the standard e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are designed for particular web content exclusively.